Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Head 'fer the Hills!

This is a combination tribute to two things: new running shoes and the mountains.

Whenever I get a new pair of running shoes, I get excited. Opening the box is like looking into a whole future of new adventures, early morning runs, sunset runs, cold and hot... You just never know where those shoes will take you! I went last Saturday and bought what is likely the MOST perfect pair of running shoes I can remember getting: the Brooks Launch. I think they are magical! It's like running on a cloud. I feel like I can do anything with my new blue shoes :) For example, this morning, I stumbled out the door to run. I had slept in a bit and so wasn't super keen on going out but I was inspired by the shoes, so out I went. Just down the street, I ran into my cute neighbor, who was just finishing a run. She had just run along the Bonneville Shoreline trail from Slate Canyon over to the temple and loved it. And then she made the comment, "You know. I love running in the mountains. The mountains don't judge you. You can just run." Suddenly, I wanted to run up that mountain! I'd never run the trail before, but why not? After all, I got new shoes.


So, I started running...and just kept running.





The morning was beautiful and the views even better. After awhile the trail turned to a road and then I realized that I was at Rock Canyon park, just above the Provo Temple! From there I headed down to University Avenue and then back home. I'm not sure how far I ran. Maybe 10 miles? I'm not sure, but it didn’t really matter. It just felt so good. Plus, I love the mountains. They are inspiring whether you’re below, across or on them. There is no better venue for clarity and contemplation then when you can stand above the bustle of daily life. The buildings look like models, cars look like Matchbox toys driving on the charcoal gray ribbon of road. It just puts life into perspective. It's true: you can just BE. The mountains don't judge. WHAT a way to start the day!

2 comments:

Cali said...

So jealous of runing in the mountians! I'm glad you're taking advantage of the new shoes. It is magical.

Sarah said...

Yum! Makes me want to go for a run right now.