I've never been a huge follower of comic strips, but I have always LOVED Calvin and Hobbes. I think it is absolutely brilliant! Calvin is one of the most profound philosophers of our era... Funny, wise, insightful, smart. They just make me laugh--it's the best of a kid's combined with the philosophy and social commentary of the best minds:



Some great Calvinism's are among my favorite quotes:
"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
"Why isn't my life like a situation comedy? Why don't I have a bunch of friends with nothing better to do but drop by and instigate wacky adventures? Why aren't my conversations peppered with spontaneous witticisms? Why don't my friends demonstrate heartfelt concern for my well being when I have problems? ...I gotta get my life some writers."
And one more brilliant one from Calvin:
"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."
So, as I am sitting here, cracking up, I'm wondering if maybe they're only funny once you've really explored the world of Calvin and Hobbes.... ? Maybe. If you have, enjoy. If not, I highly recommend it :)

1 comment:
Ash! This is great stuff... I forgot how great those comics were. And I highly recommend that you blog on a regular basis because I find you very amusing. If not... well... good thing you are my roommate and I get to talk to you almost everyday. :o) You are too great. Love ya.
Post a Comment