Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Twenty-sevendom"

I can’t believe it’s the last day of February! The greatest, yet the shortest, month of the year is now coming to a close. I turned 27 this month. I have talked to a number of friends who really didn’t like turning 27, or who are dreading its impending arrival. I don’t know, though. I welcomed 27 with open arms and so far, it’s been good to me. If this month is any indication of what the other eleven months of “twenty-sevendom” can hold, I am pretty excited.

Around my birthday, as I reflected on “twenty-sixdom,” I decided I wanted to more time doing hobbies and trying new things during the next year. I feel like I’ve gotten into the rhythm of a full-time job and life in Provo, and now I want to branch out and be more constructive with the time I have. We’ll see how this goes, but this past week gave me some golden opportunities to try my hand at some new skills!

I spent the last few days in St. George at the Utah Art Educators Association conference. It was great fun. There was a room at the conference where people could go and “throw” pots, meaning make a ceramic pot on a pottery wheel. I’d never done that before, so I thought I’d give it a try. It was so cool—even better than the movies:) It was really enjoyable, pretty tricky but yet therapeutic. I made a small vase that is about 5 inches tall and wide at the bottom. We used three different colors of clay, so it’s marbled with grey, orangy-red and cream. It looks cool, and probably only because I had a ceramics teacher helping me with it. Alas, I had no camera with me, or I would have taken pictures of the process.

Also, my co-worker and I noticed that our hotel was right by Fiesta Fun, “where the fun never sets!” Last night, after the conference, we went to the batting cages. I haven’t batted for ages! I played softball officially one season in junior high and many unofficial seasons in the Young Women's "league" (ha!), but it wasn't really my thing. I was usually in the outfield, hoping the ball wouldn’t come my way. There must have been magic at the air at Fiesta Fun last night, because I was hitting every pitch! I had some doosies. It felt great! I think it was a little bit more therapeutic than the pottery wheel.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Way to go on the batting cages! Woot Woot!! Also... way to want to be more crafty and have more hobbies. I am right there with ya! Rock on and let the projects begin!

Mrs. Cooper said...

Welcome to the "27" club! Spencer and I are very much enjoying being 27. Yes, at times, I feel like I'm pushing 30 and getting old, but other times I think age is just a number and I'm only as old as I feel. And, if I go with how old people keep telling me I look, well, then I'm still a teenager! : ) Whit, we miss you! When we get back in April we'll definitely have to get together. Oh, Spencer wants me to tell you you have to come with us to Lavender Days' medieval festival- we'll fill you in when we get home!
Love, Steph and Spencer

Christy said...

whittie! it's christy your long lost horne 59 roommate! i saw a link to your blog on stace's blog, and now here i am! yippee! happy b-day a little late. and my blog is private, so if you'd like an invite email me at topheonarope@hotmail.com

love you girl!

ps- i just realized i put an "s" instead of a "w" in whittie. oopsie. not a good mistake to make.